Is Infrared Sauna Better Than a Traditional Sauna: Infrared saunas are an alternative to regular saunas since they don’t heat the air around you. To warm you up from the inside out, infrared lamps emit electromagnetic radiation instead of light.
“These saunas use infrared panels instead of conventional heat to easily penetrate human tissue, heating up your body before heating the air,” says physical therapist Vivian Eisenstadt, MAPT, CPT, MASP. In contrast to the customary 150–180 degrees Fahrenheit used in conventional saunas, infrared saunas may be operated at much lower temperatures (generally between 120–140 degrees Fahrenheit).
It is claimed by the manufacturers of infrared saunas that only around 20% of the heat generated actually warms the air, while the remaining 80% goes toward warming the body.
Benefits of using an infrared sauna
The claimed advantages of infrared sauna use are comparable to those of conventional saunas. For example:
- for more restful slumber
- shedding pounds
- muscular pain alleviation
- pain treatment in arthritic and other aching joints
People with chronic fatigue syndrome can benefit from clearer, tighter skin as well as increased circulation. Saunas have been used for millennia for a wide variety of medical issues. There are many studies and researches on classic saunas, but not nearly as many on infrared saunas: Small (10 people) study According to Reliable Source, infrared sauna therapy is helpful for persons with chronic fatigue syndrome.
An further 10-person survey According to Reliable Source, infrared saunas speed up the recuperation process and reduce muscular discomfort after strength exercise. Several studies suggest that infrared light therapy saunas help lower blood pressure, as summarized in a recent review.
It is up to you, the customer, to evaluate the claims made by infrared sauna providers in the absence of reliable evidence and comprehensive research on the subject. Similarly, apart from the usual caveats associated with using a sauna, no adverse effects have been reported.
Overheating, dehydration, and medication interactions are just a few of the possible risks, and there are further risks for pregnant women, those with heart conditions, and those under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The good news is that a sweat session still feels great, even if it doesn’t do everything it promises to. In addition, it improves your health and well-being in other ways, such as by relieving stress, easing muscular tension and soreness, and providing some much-needed alone time.
How do you use an infrared sauna?
Some people choose to have infrared sauna sessions at a gym, spa, or doctor’s office, while others choose to invest in a home sauna. Know that there are no standard operating procedures for infrared saunas before you buy one and use it. You can get advice on how to use an infrared sauna, but in the end, it’s up to you. Here are some pointers to help you get rolling.
1. Have some water
Before entering an infrared sauna, it is important to drink enough of water. Before beginning, have a glass of water. If you are sensitive to heat, you may want to carry water inside the sauna with you. Pick the level of comfort. Infrared saunas typically operate between 100 and 150 degrees Fahrenheit, with the lower end being ideal for newcomers and the higher end being ideal for veterans. First-timers should use a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s possible that you’ll want to spend multiple sessions here.
2. Choose the temperature
Infrared saunas typically operate between 100 and 150 degrees Fahrenheit, with the lower end being ideal for newcomers and the higher end being ideal for veterans. First-timers should use a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s possible that you’ll want to spend multiple sessions here. Temperatures may be raised gradually over time, up to a maximum of 150 degrees Fahrenheit every session.
3. Length of time
Ten to fifteen minutes is a good starting point for first-time users. Each session can be extended by the same amount of time until you reach the recommended 20-30 minutes. The timer in a sauna should be used. You don’t want to get dehydrated from being in there for too long.
It’s up to you to decide what to wear. Others prefer to swim suit-free and will bring their own.
5. What you can do while in the sauna
Put your feet up, grab a book, meditate, play some music, or chat with friends. Don’t bother sleeping on it.
6. After the session is over
Take it easy and give your body time to calm down when your exercise is over. Feel free to take a bath or shower after you’ve cooled down. Simply increase your water intake to healthy levels.
7. Number of sessions per week
The standard recommendation for infrared sauna use from treatment centers is thrice weekly. You can use the sauna every day if you are well enough to withstand it for four days straight.